Upcoming Forums and Events
Facing the Storm: Severe Weather Challenges Confronting New York State in the 21st Century
Campus Center Ballroom, University at Albany, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY
Thursday, April 23, 2015
9:30 a.m. – Noon
Co-Sponsored by the Rockefeller Institute of Government, the University at Albany's Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the NYS Emergency Management Association
To RSVP, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (518) 443-5258 by April 20th.
Today, severe weather is a new reality that is impacting the daily lives of businesses, governments, and the communities they serve. While there is nothing we can do to change the weather, we can do more to understand weather trends likely to affect us in the future. It was for this purpose that, last year, we initiated this series of programs for emergency managers, not-for-profit executives.
This program is designed to focus on severe weather events of the past year and consider what these teach us about the future and how we should prepare for it, including mitigation efforts such as the NYS Mesonet, a network of 125 weather stations across the state feeding weather prediction models and decision-support tools for users across the greater New York region. The question of probabilistic weather and climate forecasting will also be raised as it relates to the communication of forecasting risk to the public.
Panelists participating in the program include:
- Lance Bosart, Distinguished Professor, University at Albany's Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences
- Jerry Brotzge, Project Director, NYS Mesonet, University at Albany
- Paul Caiano, Meteorologist, WNYT-TV (Albany)
- Christopher Thorncroft, Chair, University at Albany's Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences
- David Vallee, Hydrologist-in-Charge, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Northeast River Forecast Center
- Kevin E. Wisely, Deputy Commissioner, Emergency Services, NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services
- Stony Brook University
- SUNY New Paltz
- SUNY Plattsburgh
- SUNY Potsdam
- SUNY College of Environmental Sciences and Forestry (Syracuse)
- SUNY Oswego
We would like to thank Cisco for their assistance with the technology that makes this year's remote campus participation possible.